PA PAC members will meet at Shepard Middle School (2401 Dakota St, Durham, NC 27707) on Wednesday, August 21 at 6:30 pm ET to debate and endorse the candidates for Durham mayor, three at-large city council members, the proposed affordable housing bond.
Doors open at 5:30 pm and all attendees must be current members of the People’s Alliance and must check in, join or renew their membership as necessary. The meeting will start promptly at 6:30 pm ET. Please arrive early if you plan to sign up or renew on site.
Childcare and English/Spanish simultaneous interpretation will be provided as needed. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to indicate whether you expect to need childcare or interpretation services for this meeting.
The endorsement process:
PA PAC will make endorsements for the following contests at this meeting: Durham mayor, the at-large City Council seats currently held by Jillian Johnson, Charlie Reece, and Javiera Caballero, and the proposed affordable housing bond.
Candidate questionnaires will be available in early August and members will be notified when they are posted on the PA PAC website.
PA membership requirements for PAC endorsement meetings:
- Every PA member who has paid dues for 2019 and been a member for more than 60 days prior to the endorsement meeting (end of the day on June 22) can speak and vote at the endorsement meeting.
- Members who have joined PA for the first time after June 22 (June 23 or later), including those who join at the door, are welcome and encouraged to speak at the meeting, but cannot vote at this meeting.
- Lapsed members may renew at any time to speak and vote at the endorsement meeting. All memberships expire December 31 each year. If you have not renewed for 2019, but plan to attend the endorsement meeting, please help us by renewing online now rather than at the door of the meeting.
- Membership dues are $35 for individuals, $50 for households and $10/sliding scale for those who request it. Volunteering in lieu of membership dues is also available. Click here to join or renew.
- All members must, in good conscience, subscribe to the People’s Alliance Vision Statement. To read the statement, visit www.durhampa.org/vision_statement.
- All membership dues are used to support the activities of the People’s Alliance and no funds are retained by the People’s Alliance PAC to support or oppose any candidates for elected office.
A complete list of frequently asked questions about PAC membership and procedures is available here.